Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Zen and the Art of the Book

My early introduction to the book arts came from two art communities: the Penland School for the Book and Paper Arts, in North Carolina and Anderson Arts Ranch in Snowmass, Colorado. I participated in the Penland Book and Paper Arts Intensive in May of 1994. I had the opportunity to work with Ed Hutchins along with others...gained experience in basic codex book binding and learned way more than I wanted about the History of Glue.

In 1996, I participated in Zen and the Art of Bookmaking at the Anderson Arts Ranch, taught by Susan kae Grant whose work is featured in the Smithsonian as part of the Science and the Artist's Book exhibit (see link on sidebar). While in Snowmass, I began a series of limited edition palm books. These books, as the name implies, are made to fit in the palm of your hand. They include words, sayings and images as a focus for meditation, prayer and reflection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home